Academic and Athletic Empowerment Program
During this initial phase of the program, we will work with middle school student athletes to begin the process of showing them what it takes to continue on as a student athlete for years. Once they have completed middle school and move to the high school level, they will begin to work in the AAEP phase II.
In 2007-2008, the AAEP will serve four Middle Schools in the Aurora area. The program will be based on 6 components:
- University Outreach
- Summer Camps
- Evaluating Impact
This phase prepares the student for the long road ahead at the college level. We want to prepare these student athletes from the time they step on a college campus what to expect. We believe that these steps will allow these student athletes to not only have an enjoyable L.I.F.E. as a student athlete, but to also lower the chances of these student athletes of either selecting the wrong college or quitting because of the pressures that lie ahead. During this phase, our high school student athletes will continue with our six components for our AAEP (tutoring/mentoring, athletic skill training and college field day trips, etc.) In addition to these components we will add the following:
- Preparing students to take the ACT or SAT
- Begin the recruiting Process
- How the recruiting game works
- What to look for in a college
- Determine which college to visit
- How to look for Financial Assistance for these student athletes
- Pell Grant
- What to expect when you get to college
- How to deal with independence
- Time management
- Financial strains (credit card debt, etc.)
During Phase III of our AAEP, we will have college student athletes become mentors and summer employees for our summer camps. Phase III will also offer these additional components during summer months:
- Job Placement: Summer Internships at local corporations
- Getting prepared for what is next in L.I.F.E.
- Professional Athletics or Business Career
- Choosing the right company to work for
- Professional Athletics: Is it for You?
- Work closely with area universities/colleges to assist in bringing back those student athletes that did not finish their college education.
L.I.F.E. Support Inc. is a 501c(3) non-profit organization which offers numerous social services and recreational activities for individuals which live in at risk neighborhoods in Aurora Illinois and surrounding communities.